Yes, we finally found a house to buy. It's not exactly what we were hoping for or expecting but it ticks off a lot of boxes on our wish list. So we're going for it. If we find that it's not what we want, we'll move again - but not for a while!
We have a signed contract and a closing date for mid-June. We're currently in a 5-day window for inspections and then they'll be no turning back.
The house is a 1343 square foot bungalow with two bedrooms and one bath. It has a detached garage and a large yard. It needs quite a bit of work but it's in good enough condition that we can move in and then slowly work our way through the long list of projects.
We're excited about the house but nervous, too. There are going to be some big changes!
- No dishwasher. We'll put one in eventually but not until we remodel the kitchen.
- It has a basement but you have to raise a trap door and go down some steps to get to it. It works for housing the furnace and water heater and providing some long term storage.
- The garage is detached. We've been accustomed to an attached garage for the last 15 years.
- It's not as close to all the places we like to go. David will have a longer drive to work. One of our kids is 10 minutes away and the other is 25.
- It only has two bedrooms instead of four like we have now.
- It's 600 square feet smaller than our current home so we'll have to get rid of some of our stuff. Fortunately we keep things pretty sparse around here so it won't be too bad.
- We've had a dedicated office for the last 15 years but we won't have that in this house.
- It's a new city (a suburb of where we were before) so we'll have to learn new rules about stuff.
As I mentioned before, it's not quite what we were looking for but we believe that God leads us to exactly the type of house we need for each phase of life. We're not sure what the future holds, but we feel confident that this house is exactly where we need to be.
In the meantime, our current home goes on the market in the next day or two. My biggest challenge now will be keeping it clean and mud-free. Unfortunately it's been raining constantly here and Lucy can't (or won't) stay out of the mud!
Stay tuned for updates on the house front!