Sunday, July 17, 2016

We moved!!!

We did it.  We purchased, remodeled and sold our fixer upper.  We closed last week and moved out on Saturday.  It was a long process, but truthfully, it went pretty fast.

I can't say I'm sad to have moved.  I liked the house but it was never mine!  I'm a full-time homemaker and serious homebody, so not having a house that was mine was tougher than I thought it would be.  I wasn't able to personalize it the way I wanted to or do things the way I wanted them done.  The bottom line was always how any changes would work for re-sale.  That being said, I hope the family who bought the house will be happy there.  It really is a great house.

Moving day started at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday.  If you know me, you know that I'm NOT a morning person.  The alarm went off at 5:00 a.m. and David and I got up and got busy finishing the last minute packing for the move.  Our team of friends arrived at 6:30 and they were amazing! Seriously.  They worked hard and fast but did such a good job.  When I got to the house, not only was everything unloaded, but it was all in the right rooms which makes unpacking a LOT easier.

We left the old house at 11:30 and headed to the new house to unload the second and final truck load.  It wouldn't have been that fast except that David had been taking stuff over every time he went to work on the house.  He had completely unloaded the basement and garage which helped a lot.

Our first night in the new house was not as restful as we hoped.  We were worn out but neither of us could sleep - all the new noises, you know.  The toilet evidently has a leak somewhere so it randomly flushed.  And we're temporarily using a window unit air conditioner which is loud - we're not complaining, though, because it kept us pretty cool. But there were different noises to adjust to and we were just SO tired.  You know how sometimes you're too tired to sleep? That was the case, I think. We've been running ourselves ragged the past month or so.

There were a few issues that needed to be dealt with immediately.  So David, the superman of remodeling, got right on them and came up with creative and effective solutions.

#1 - The yard isn't fenced yet so Lucy has to be on a leash at all times.  Taking her outside on the leash is a nightmare.  She's so strong that she nearly pulls my arm out of the socket the whole time we're outside.  I'm working on leash training her but she's not cooperating.  Anyway, we stopped at Nuts and Bolts and picked up a 20 foot cable that David hooked to a tree.  Now when I take Lucy out, I hook her to the cable so she can run a bit and I can save my arm.  Because she's so hyper, I don't leave her out there alone.  Nearly every time she's been out there she's managed to completely wrap the cable around the tree.

In case you're wondering why we didn't get one of those screws specifically made for a leash, it's because we don't believe it would hold her.  This is working very well.  And while she runs around, I sit in the adirondak and check facebook or play a game on my phone.  It's a win-win.

#2 - Remember how I used to leash Lucy to the dining room table leg?  That wasn't working very well at the end because she was so strong.  She actually broke one of the legs (we were able to fix it). I had planned to let her run free in this house but currently there's too much stuff out that she can eat. So David put an eye bolt in the wall and I hook her to that.  It's awesome and makes me so happy.  It's centrally located so she can see everything that's going on but she stays out of trouble (mostly).

#3 - This house doesn't have a shower.  It has this big, ugly whirlpool tub and no shower.  I'm a shower person.  I can't remember the last time I took a bath.  I hate baths.  Even when I'm sick or sore I hate baths.  So David rigged up a shower.  I used it this morning and it's awesome.  We;ll try to rig up some sort of curtain, but if you're careful, you can shower without making a mess.  I'm a happy camper.

#4 - We don't have nightstands anymore.  The ones we had at the old house were small shelves we attached to the wall.  So until we decide what we want here, I solved this problem but piling up some of the boxes that will go in storage.  They don't look like much, but they do the job!

That's it for now. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment