Monday, November 7, 2016

Weekly Recap: Never a Dull Moment

I've been saying for years that there's never a dull moment in the Gardner household and this past week was no exception.  I always wonder if this stuff happens to everyone or just to us!

Earlier in the week I heard a house alarm going off.  It didn't go off immediately, like it does if someone accidentally set it off, so I was concerned it might be a legitimate break in somewhere nearby.  I went to the window to try to figure out where it was coming from and heard sirens.  "Wow," I thought.  "That was fast."  None of our break-ins (many years ago) were ever handled that quickly so I assumed something else must be going on.  And I was right.

As I was looking outside, I saw a police car come barreling up the road perpendicular to my house. The driver's door was open and another police officer was running around on foot with his gun drawn.  They turned the corner onto my street, went about two houses down and STOPPED.  Uh, oh.  That wasn't good.  Next thing I knew my street was lined with police cars.  Seriously.  There were at least 15.  I could see officers with guns drawn all over the place.

When a police officer went through my neighbor's yard, I raised the window and asked if we were in danger.  He said to lay low - literally - lay on the floor.

I didn't lay low since I couldn't see or hear any immediately danger.  Then I noticed a crowd gathering in front of my house and I went outside to find out what was going on.  Apparently a man was stopped for a traffic violation a couple of miles away, fled from police and ran all the way to my quiet neighborhood where nothing ever happens (at least that's what they told us when we moved in).  He jumped a couple of fences and ended up on the patio two doors down.  He had a gun.

About eight police officers gathered in front of my neighbor's driveway with their BIG guns.  We watched them head over the house where the man was.  A little bit later we heard that the criminal had been subdued.  He was a felon in possession of a gun and would be returning to prison.  They captured him without any issues.

I was really impressed with the police and how they handled the situation.  And very glad that everything turned out okay!  So much for a quiet neighborhood - at least that day.

On Friday two of my grandkids came over to spend the weekend.  One of them is Calvin who's five years old and autistic.  He chose this weekend to discover how to unlock the doors and escape.  He escaped at least three times.  Fortunately he didn't go far - just to David's truck.  Apparently he wanted to play in the back of the truck.  Now we have to keep the safety locks on at all times.

And this morning I woke up to a high pitched screeching sound.  I assumed it was outside but later discovered it was INSIDE - in the basement.  Once I realized it was inside, I knew it was our septic system alarm.  Unfortunately I wasn't sure I could get in the basement to check it out.  Our basement access is a trap door in Calvin's room.  It's heavy and awkward and I've never tried opening it by myself.  I guess it's time I try!  Anyway, David wasn't too far away so he came home and shut it off. In the meantime I called the septic company and they'll come out Thursday and check it out.  Or maybe sooner - David's going to check some stuff tonight (per their instructions) and let them know what he finds.  If it looks like it's a faulty alarm, they'll be here Thursday.  If it looks like a full tank, they'll be here sooner.  In the meantime, laundry will have to wait.  Darn!  Not.

If that's not enough, the temperatures are dropping and the furnace isn't done yet.  But David says he can actually fire it up and get it going tonight.  It's not done but it's done enough to be operational.  Whew!  We barely made it.

And now I'm sitting here typing this blog post and my very loud dog is barking in my ear.  I guess I'll end this post and go see what she needs so urgently.  And maybe my ears will stop ringing once I can shut her up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment